Big Games Thoughts for 2019

Forum to discuss 2019 gaming
tombeach
Major
Major

Re: Big Games Thoughts for 2019

Post by tombeach » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:09 pm

If this proves too tedious, might'n it make more sense to play Wacht Am Rhein?

Ardwulf
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Ardwulf » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:44 am

tombeach wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:09 pm If this proves too tedious, might'n it make more sense to play Wacht Am Rhein?
Or Hurtgen. Hurtgen has updated game-specxific rules; Wacht does not, and I have little faith that we will see those by February. With AW and HHF, the updated rules make a big difference as far as clarity goes.
-----
Gary N. Mengle/Ardwulf
https://www.youtube.com/ardwulfslair

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:24 pm

I'm all for playing AW2 with the admittedly updated rules (I haven't read HHF updated rules yet) but feel that regardless of updated rules, getting started may have the same problems we previously encountered if a reliable method for doing Air and Amphib prove too difficult. HHF would certainly seem doable both in size and completion prospects. But if I recall, and I'm reaching back a ways, Merv was not very impressed with HHF. I might be wrong as I recall this had to do with playing it in tandem with WaR.

Merv, do you have any thoughts at this point regarding any of this?

I've only soloed WaR. Don't recall special rules problems. Can you highlight cases, Gary?

Ardwulf
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Ardwulf » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:26 pm

tombeach wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:24 pm But if I recall, and I'm reaching back a ways, Merv was not very impressed with HHF. I might be wrong as I recall this had to do with playing it in tandem with WaR.
I could certainly see how this would be problematic, as there is no support whatever for it in the actual games.
tombeach wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:24 pmI've only soloed WaR. Don't recall special rules problems. Can you highlight cases, Gary?
Not offhand, other than to note that some of the scenario setups are problematic. The campaign I'm not sure about. Both Wacht or Hurtgen are light enough on the game-specific rules that I don't see it has a problem either way, as long as we play with the current version of the GOSS rules. I do know that some of the specific complaints I heard regarding previous versions of Wacht played at the Fest have been addressed in the current rules.

Any of the three would be at the top of my to-play list. AW is the most interesting to me but it's also the least finishable in the timeframe we have available, even prepping the landings in advance.
-----
Gary N. Mengle/Ardwulf

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:52 pm

Not offhand, other than to note that some of the scenario setups are problematic.
Oh my gosh, problematic doesn't begin to cover it. I have more pencil-scratching for corrections and fixings so much as to look like pages from my own composition book. Absolutely no excuse for such colossal and numerous errors. None.
Any of the three would be at the top of my to-play list. AW is the most interesting to me but it's also the least finishable in the timeframe we have available, even prepping the landings in advance.
True and true.

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:29 pm

So what kind of progress specifically has been made with regards to AW2 pre-Air/Amphib?

Ardwulf
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Ardwulf » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:42 pm

tombeach wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:29 pm So what kind of progress specifically has been made with regards to AW2 pre-Air/Amphib?
Nothing concrete yet, we're still in the discussion stage. But we're talking about doing the pre-game stuff at Merv's place in November.
-----
Gary N. Mengle/Ardwulf

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:50 pm

Copy that. Looking forward to hearing what comes from your discussions with Merv as I'd like to stay informed.

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:05 am

tombeach wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:50 pm Copy that. Looking forward to hearing what comes from your discussions with Merv as I'd like to stay informed.
Have there been discussions about possibly conducting the Air/Amphib pre-con activities via Vassal? If so, what opinions have come from it?

MTierney
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post by MTierney » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:28 pm

Gary and Tom,
Sorry I haven’t been on the site. Busy at work. I recently mentioned via email that I had gotten back to the game of AW that Shawn and I started over a year ago. This was our fourth attempt at the game. The very first was interrupted when we sold our house. The second was at WF with Tom. The third by a cat that got into the game room. We had never gotten farther than the June 10th turn, so when this fourth attempt started to languish before WF last year, I picked the whole thing up piece by piece and moved it into a corner of the new game room. To save space I mounted two thirds of if vertically on the wall! It sat for eighteen months like that, not played.

Then about a month ago and just before this discussion started, I started playing again solitaire. I rediscovered how much I like the system and the game in particular! Admittedly it is a monster and we would come nowhere near finishing it even at WF, but for me it provides the best simulation of the campaign ever and I own all the Normandy games ever made! I also have Whact am Rhine set up and ready to start. So obviously I like the system. Problem is not many others do.

As to which to play? I will mention that I just received my second copy of AW this week. I bought it to be able to play at WF after this thread started. I refuse to stop that game I have going again, so the second copy. One interesting thing I am seeing in this current game and what intrigues me is the following.

I have reached June 12th with a pretty much historical lodgement. Casualties are heavy on both sides but the Allies have much more coming quicker than the Germans. I am wondering if this could lead to an open game much more quickly than historical?

Gary is supposed to be here in two weeks, we thought to start play. It is a tall order to get it ready in that time, but I am game! :D

Merv