OCS Big Table Game (8-10 players)

Our 20th Anniversary Fest!
Tkenily
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: OCS Big Table Game (8-10 players)

Post by Tkenily »

I agree with dave that if you squander supply and units without purpose, game over. We have been through this a few times. Both sudesmust be diciplined and the can be very competitive. There are ways to think out the box about units, supply and deception which can help you succeed. If you read deans article about the lock closing of stalingrad there are allot of things that can still happen if your a german, its not game over.

Troy
Tkenily
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Tkenily »

OKH beginning vassal simulations "oh yes"
TEJ
Captain
Captain

Post by TEJ »

Question: will this scenario be susceptible to an application of Troy's masterful (my opinion) ploy of a few years ago, attacking on a broad front with expendable (Soviet, of course) units to forcibly consume Axis supplies and critically derange Axis plans? I'd hate for the game to get to Saturday afternoon and one side throw in the towel because most of the next month of supply points would have to be spent to refresh units that had consumed internal stockpiles in defeating pinprick attacks.
Madison
Uber-Oberst
Uber-Oberst

Post by Madison »

I would agree that what Troy did to Jim was masterful, but on the surface it seemed gamey to me. I'm not sure pin prick attacks had the intention of bleeding off enemy supplies as opposed to some other purpose. One could argue it's represented as distractions to the main effort of the enemy with the net effect of halting a main thrust due to a logistical failure to meet the demand of defending yourself everywhere.

The dreadful supply shortage of the Germans in 1942/43 would definitely be a prime candidate for this tactic to have a big effect. I'm not sure if others in the OCS community have discussed this as a strategy or if Dean has seen it used. My guess his answer would be 'have enough' SP's to deal with stuff like that. Like there is ever enough SP's in any OCS game.
thatlee
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by thatlee »

I too thought Troy had an inspired, but arguably gamey tactic. However, there is now an "anti-Troy" rule: 12.4? 12.10? (Page 21 under the note). Defenders now have the option to withhold supply and defend at 1/2 strength.
This effectively stops little windy-drink attacks from sucking up all the defenders supply.
Tkenily
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Tkenily »

I agree with lee that being able to defend at half strength without spending any supply is a new tactic to use. I was in a desperate situation, Jim was about to start an offensive that would have engulfed Tula and he would have probably have been across the river Oka. After across that barrier he would have no barriers to stop him except lightly manned hedgehogs adjacent to moskow. Yes i was able to take his stockpile of sps in the area of his big push down 2/3s but the price was very heavy. I lost a total os 48 steps of infantry to his 7 steps. The frostbite rule really should have hurt them more but they were on a real rolling streak. I know one thing i dont think i could afford to do any more wave attacks 4 or so turns later when he was building supply again. Of course im getting better troops in mid december with better ratings (siberians).
thatlee
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by thatlee »

It was a thing of beauty to watch, and perfectly within the rules. I am surprised at the loss ratio, that was a lot of steps to trade!
mignered
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mignered »

Troy's tactic of low odds attacks to bleed the German was
basically what Stalin did. However, they were done on
a larger scale targeting German armies in specific regions.
They were not long term in duration.

Glantz's writings on the winter/spring of 42-43 documents
several of these offensives. They were reasonably well
supplied and attritional in nature. They were designed to
drain German resources, kill German units and generate
breakthroughs if possible. Most of them, like Mars, were
Soundly defeated.

However, these attacks were not continuous and I would love
to face any Soviet who tries this tactic turn after turn.
He will lose badly.
mignered
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mignered »

Troy and Merv,

Contact me at davidandbea@gmail.com
Madison
Uber-Oberst
Uber-Oberst

Post by Madison »

We still on for this game?

Teams being discussed? Who's bringing the game?