Origins report

Forum to discuss 2022 gaming
ThisLee
Captain
Captain

Origins report

Post by ThisLee » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:59 am

Not as big a crowd, as one might expect, but I did talk up Winterfest to 3 individuals.

One of them was very interested in scaring up an Empires in Arms game; I said it was certainly possible.

Madison
Uber-Oberst
Uber-Oberst

Re: Origins report

Post by Madison » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:31 pm

Isn't that like world in flames Napoleon style? Multi-player many rules and a long play?

CintiJeff
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by CintiJeff » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:50 am

Empires in Arms can indeed be a slog, but it is THE strategic Nappy game. One great feature is the selection of tactical battle chits in up to three rounds per battle, which can make them the most memorable part of a game.

I hadn't thought about it (haven't played in ages), but if 7 people were willing and at least a couple had played recently and were familiar with the rules, I'd definitely be up for a game.

EDIT - on another topic, with the posted COVID rules and the discussion in 2019(?) about limited capacity, any update on if there will be a cap on number of attendees? Will it be limited to previous attendees, can others be invited, etc?

Madison
Uber-Oberst
Uber-Oberst

Post by Madison » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:23 pm

We are not planning on a capacity limit nor will we turn people away. We do have the room across the hallway to overflow into, though it's not as desirable as the main room. Perhaps I can talk to Merv about seeing if the hotel can get the heat turned up in that room, I recall it being cool last time we went in there for a group photo.

Stay tuned - once we have some ball park on how many are attending we will try to accommodate as best we can given what we have to work with.

John

KevinRohrer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by KevinRohrer » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:14 am

Was EiA ever republished. I think ADG was planning to do it, but anything they do takes years to accomplish.

War & Peace might be a better option.

CintiJeff
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by CintiJeff » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:05 pm

We tried playing a 4 player game of the new version of W&P and were underwhelmed. Admittedly it was via VASSAL, so that could have had something to do with it. It seemed like some of the rule changes made the game 'clunkier'.

ThisLee
Captain
Captain

Post by ThisLee » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:23 pm

I've tried War & Peace as a campaign game, and it doesn't seem to hold together very well with multiple players. The scenarios remain fantastic, IMO.

Empires in Arms might be a "grail game" for me; I signed on for a game once, and we never got past set-up. I think I was the Turks?