TSWW

Winterfest #19
tombeach
Major
Major

TSWW

Post by tombeach » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:26 pm

FOR TROY K.

Dave Nelson and I bought into TSWW this past weekend. He bought Balkan Fury and I Merkur. I see that you are listed in the playtest credits, and I remember you saying you liked the series when we talked at Buckeye. So let me ask you, do you think there is a problem with the changing CEV values when it comes to playing the larger counter count games in the series? That seems to be the sticking point for some, although most who express that concern haven't played the system yet. Clearly you have serious time in on the system and I would be grateful for your thoughts on it. I ask because I've started reading the v1.3c rules, like what Ive read very much, and am considering buying one of the current big games from them.

Thanks!

Tom

tombeach
Major
Major

Re: TSWW

Post by tombeach » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:43 pm

Hi Troy,

WhIle I'm still very much interested in your experience and thoughts concerning the variable CEV, I decided to go all-in and bought a copy of Mare Nostrum. So I suppose I'll find out for myself what its like handling variable CEV on such a large scale with 33 maps and 18 counter sheets. Yikes!

Tom

Tkenily
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Tkenily » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:39 am

Tom

Sorry, I did not know you posted this and I just ran into it by accident looking at forum. Well I'm all in on this system and I have no issues with the CEV as of yet. The next game will be the Barbarossa game and the CEV can't get to high because there needs to be a million casualties on the German's that first 6 months or its flawed. I really like John and Cory and I think the maps are awesome but the counters on my blitzkrieg copy were really bad. I hope the counters improve. The CRT is so much better then Europa but it is suspiciously close to John Madison's and Greg Sarnecki CRT that they developed long before DE came along. I have not layed out this system in 3 years because of all the OCS games I like to play but if I can get some people interested once Barbarossa comes out it could be a possibility for a winterfest game.

Troy

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:13 pm

Hey Troy,

Thanks for your response. Glad to hear you're okay with the CEV. I too saw no issue with it. But you know how some guys are on the game forums.

Yeah, I think John does an incredible job with his products and support of them. I've taken a close look at Mare Nostrum and find it a well done package. As I've said before here and elsewhere, the counters are a little too thin for my tastes. But I have any problem with that as they are quite functional as is. I know Blitzkrieg v1 had serious counter issues with both printing and super-thinness. But I thought they issued a v2 of counters for that game which corrected the problem. Looking forward to Hakkaa Paalle and Battleaxe on order for shipment this next week as smaller intro games to try along with Merkur before tackling the big ones.

So are you all in for both Barbarossa as well as Vengeance copies? I'm looking forward to getting some TSWW time in around here and at WF should you decided to launch a game.

I love playing OCS as well. That said, I've recently decided to finally get around to reading the rules for John Schettler's Winter Sturm game series from CoA. I am really impressed as I push counters around on my first scenario from Last Victory. You can see so many concepts borrowed for OCS. Yet, the fluid and interactive Operations Phase is IMO, superior to OCS. A really great game system which I'd also be interested in making a WF game out of.

Tom