Seven Days Campaign Game

Winterfest #19
tombeach
Major
Major

Seven Days Campaign Game

Postby tombeach » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:51 pm

This folder will serve as a meeting place for the discussion of and prep for The Gamers Seven Days Campaign game in the Civil War Brigade Series (v3.2) for Winterfest 2016.

kqrgcw
Captain
Captain

Re: Seven Days Campaign Game

Postby kqrgcw » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:55 pm

Tom,

Work is a little busy and my wife's broken wrist ( she is recovering) takes a lot of my free time. I am up to section 21 of the rules and have a few questions that I am hoping the experts can answer.

Section 9.0 The fog of war option allowing a player to ask the basic content of enemy units is limited by LOS. Is this option going to be used? My own personal view is that it sounds very reasonable.

Looking at the chart on page 9 regarding "Below Corps command and control" I am assuming that it would not be a good idea to get units outside of that command range. However, I am sure there are times when it might be necessary. Based upon your experience what might some of those times be?

There are two things about extended line that I am not sure about and one comment.
A. Lets say a unit is marching down a road in column formation. Before its movement allowance is expended it changes to Line. Now it wants to extend its line on each flank, but the terrain on each side of the road will cost more MP's than the parent has left. Does the unit have to wait till the next turn to extend its line or is this done without using MP's? It's probably in the rules somewhere but it probably didn't register with me.
B. I'm not sure I follow the fire value of an extended line. Does an "A" unit when it does this become "B" plus its extensions and a "B" becomes "C", or does the unit and its extensions keep the original value?
C. I am assuming that line extension represents deployment of a units regiments or sub formations into a combat line and would thus be the norm unless one wanted a concentrated attack.

As I come up with other questions I will post them.

Roger

tombeach
Major
Major

Postby tombeach » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:13 pm

Hi Roger,

Sorry to hear of your wife's broken wrist. Hope she is doing better.

As for 9.0 Fog of War, our approach in the past has been to not allow the opponent to see what is located under the top unit. We can talk more about this as we get closer. In the meantime, let me think on it a bit before offering my opinion for your consideration.

As for times when it might be a good idea to be outside of command range, there are very few I can think of. One exception would be an opportunity to either seize an objective or perhaps outflank an opponent or deliver a crushing blow where you throw caution to the wind and exceed command range to advance to such a position. But it's been my experience that such opportunities are rare indeed. But they do occur. Divisional Goals is partially designed to take advantage of such situations, and is far wiser a method to advance such planned ideas. But divisions on Divisional Goals have a much easier time fallen prey to Stoppage. So one must always consider the advantages and disadvantages of Divisional Goals. It's also interesting that in Seven Days, Confederates can assign Brigade Goals which are functionally the same as Division Goals. While the Federals are not permitted this option.

Extended Line

A. Yes. The unit will have to wait until the next turn to move into Extended Line. Any emerging Extended Line counter would already have the same MP expenditure of the Parent Unit. See 17.0 second sentence: "Extended line markers literally move out from the parent unit (or back again to return.) So there is no free lunch for Extended Lines. While they behave just like other separate units once they emerge from the parent unit, they are still considered to have spent what the parent unit has spent before their creation.
B. Fire Levels are determined for Extended Lines based strictly upon the parent unit's original Fire Level (i.e. size). A good guide to keeping this sometimes confusing issue straight is to re-read 6.5b as I often do. Using that breakdown guideline, one A=2B's, one B=2C's and one A=4C's. So when looking at your parent unit, just figure out how many Extended Lines (1 or 2) that you will create. Once you know how many hexes you will extend into, you simply make change as it were from the parent unit and its original/current strength. So if your brigade is a AAA Fire Level, and you extend into one hex, you will now have an Extended Line of Fire Level A and the parent unit will now be AA. If that same brigade extends into two hexes (maximum amount allowed) you would have three hexes, each with a Fire Level of A. If your brigade is an AAB Fire Level, one extension would create an A Extended Line and the parent unit would have the AB. If your brigade is a B Fire Level (minimum level required to extend) you would have two C's if you extended once, and you would not be permitted to extend into a second hex. And so on. Just remember that any left-over strength remains with the parent unit.
C. Correct. Brigades represent essentially a column of regiments when located in one hex, while extending your regiments to either or both flanks is putting the entire brigade in line of battle. Greater firepower of course as you know. But less shock value.

Hope these have been useful replies.

Tom
Last edited by tombeach on Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TEJ
2nd Lieutennant
2nd Lieutennant

Postby TEJ » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:51 am

How many people can reasonably play this game...is there a Federal seat for me?

What is the level at which a player commands? I see Federals having division goals but there are problems with it, so I'm thinking a Federal player is a corps commander, or perhaps a couple of corps? Rebel divisions are almost the size of Federal corps and have brigade orders with some problems?

Todd

tombeach
Major
Major

Postby tombeach » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:13 pm

You're correct in that play for the Federals is considered at the Corps level. And while Confederate play is technically at the Division level, they are big divisions as you say, plus you can actually create one Wing commander besides the at start for Jackson's Army of the Valley Wing. Meanwhile the Federals can create only one Wing commander outside of their Corps OB. So there could easily be five Federal commanders (II, III, IV, V, VI Corps) and three Confederate commands as well (Jackson, Longstreet, A.P. Hill). More CSA commands could be created if needed. And finally, there is always the option of one player on each side playing McClellan and Lee. And because the game is brigade level and with a low counter density, fewer players is no problem either.

So there is plenty of room, Todd. I will put you down for a Federal command then.

Actually, there are a few Federal brigades which are allowed Divisional Goals as well. But primarily it is the Confederates who will make use of them. Not sure I understand your reference to the "problems" with Divisional Goals outside of the normal issues they encounter.

Tom
Last edited by tombeach on Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kqrgcw
Captain
Captain

Postby kqrgcw » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:15 pm

I think I've got the extended line movement. Good explanation.

Your explanation on the decreasing value of a unit as it extends its line is clearer than the rules. This is one area I will probably need a little help with in the game as it still seems a tad confusing. So please don't take to great an advantage of my youth and inexperience.

Roger

tombeach
Major
Major

Postby tombeach » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:20 pm

Thanks, Roger. Glad you found my explanations helpful. Don't worry. Everyone will make some mistakes along the way. But I'm sure a few turns in and you'll have it down cold.

Tom

kqrgcw
Captain
Captain

Postby kqrgcw » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:54 pm

Just got back from a week of touring the Richmond battlefields, Pamplin Park, Antietam and Gettysburg. So I need to get back to the rules.

Roger

firefly17pdr
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby firefly17pdr » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:24 pm

Ok. Count me in, if you have room. I can play either side, but would have a preference for the Federals. I actually had ancestors on both sides of the rebellion. Great great great Grandfather Shown was in the 2nd Kentucky (Union)cavalry, and I had a great great great uncle (Williamson) killed at Kennesaw Mountain. He's buried there in the US Cemetery in the national park, and was in an Ohio infantry regiment. I also had a great great great uncle on the Confederate side. His name was Braxton Bragg. His youngest sister was my great great great grandmother.

Ron Shown

kqrgcw
Captain
Captain

Postby kqrgcw » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:06 pm

Ron,

Great to see you are in on the Seven Days. For the record, I don't really have a preference for any side.

Some questions:

1. On optional rules are defensive orders going to be used? Never having played this system I can only guess, but my gut feeling is this might hurt the defender since if they lose integrity(not sure if that was the right term) the whole position can collapse. Is this a viable option or does it harm the defender too much?
2. I think it was called extended movement where a brigade, division, etc. can sit still, accumulate movement points over a series of turns and "pop up" in the flank or rear of the enemy unless in the process they run into an opposing unit. I probably missed something here, but is this optional rule going to be use?
3. I see in the Gaines Mill game that there are various rules for McClellan's caution, Jackson's lethargy etc. How do these ( or other similar rules in Savages Station and Malvern Hill mesh into the campaign?

Return to “Winterfest XIX - 2016”