Side/small games for 2016

Winterfest #19
tombeach
Major
Major

Re: Side/small games for 2016

Postby tombeach » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:01 pm

I think Lee is looking for an OCS Korea partner. He is the only one listed on that. See the "OCS only" string.
Merv

While Roger and I have talked seriously about a side game of 'Campaigns of R.E. Lee' I want to offer my enthusiastic support for an OCS Korea game which I would also enjoy partaking of as well as perhaps a Burma II game.

DaveM1
Major
Major

Postby DaveM1 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:18 pm

I'd be in for OCS Korea. Been wanting to dip my toe into that pool, with either BTR or something less intensive.

I am a complete newbie at the system so that should be taken into consideration when determining pairings.

ThisLee
2nd Lieutennant
2nd Lieutennant

Postby ThisLee » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:17 pm

I can play Korea, and/or coach the system. No extra charge! :mrgreen:

DaveM1
Major
Major

Postby DaveM1 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:02 pm

ThisLee wrote:I can play Korea, and/or coach the system. No extra charge! :mrgreen:

Sounds great to me.

If TEJ Todd is up for this one, I'd make it a commitment and go with OCS Korea as my big game.

DaveM1
Major
Major

Postby DaveM1 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:07 pm

Todd:

If you're ambivalent about Close Action, how would you feel about Iron Bottom Sound III? Night actions, Long Lances, gunnery and spotlights...

It's a bit simpler than CA, but still has plotted movement and acknowledged roots in Wooden Ships. We could run it as a game instead. I picked up a copy and have been working through the rules and it looks fairly straightforward so far.

TEJ
2nd Lieutennant
2nd Lieutennant

Postby TEJ » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:37 pm

Todd Here.

I would like to try OCS Korea, yes. A newbie opponent and a life coach for both of us seems great to me, Dave and ThisLee.

Dave, Iron Bottom Sound: YES!. I got my history feet wet way back in elementary school and that was about the first battle I ever read about. I keep looking for good naval wargames for the age of steam and steel and I haven't found a great one yet, but I would like to look at this as a next possibility.

ThisLee
2nd Lieutennant
2nd Lieutennant

Postby ThisLee » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:40 am

Never heard of Iron Bottom Sound III, but I'm a huge South Pacific fan, so color me interested!

DaveM1
Major
Major

Postby DaveM1 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:28 pm

OK, just reread the rules. Looks like it'd be an easy play, though it might work best if I GM'd rather than played first time around. (It's written orders/simultaneous movement so it's hard to play solo.) First couple plays might be best with two players and a GM, but optionally we could add multiple subcommanders.

Night actions mean short ranges (by modern standards anyway), determined purely by distance in hexes. Radar is active for USN, and star shells are available to be fired into predetermined hexes. Gunnery is by combat factors with die rolls to determine number of "hits" with damage distribution and the possibility of critical hits done on an extra die roll per hit. Hull damage, speed damage, turret damage all potentially affected by hits. Ships have status sheets with boxes to cross off, and order sheets with movement to be recorded in a format very similar to Close Action.

The historical scenarios are not necessarily balanced, but there are a couple alternate history ones too that look closer matched. And the system might be nice as a double blind, two table job - it would be faster than Flattop for sure and have plenty of action!

MarkD
Corporal
Corporal

Postby MarkD » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:19 am

Hey Guys

I had planned on attending last year but sometimes life gets in the way of wargaming :( Tentatively I plan on being there Friday Night (2/12) to Sunday (2/14) and Wednesday Night (2/17) to Sunday (2/21).I know it's early but I'd like to setup some games before I get there especially for the first weekend.

Games I'm interested in playing:
Any COIN Series (GMT)
Combat Commander (GMT)
Commands & Colors: Anciens or Napoleonic (GMT)
Downtown (GMT)
Elusive Victory (GMT)
Empire of the Sun (GMT)
GCACW (MMP)
Kingdom of Heaven (MMP)
Sekigahara (GMT)
Space Empires 4X (GMT)

Mark

DaveM1
Major
Major

Postby DaveM1 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:32 pm

Mark:

Good to see you're able to come! Just so you know, the second weekend often turns into "breakdown and put away" starting Saturday am, and most times the second Sunday everyone is gone.

I'd be interested in trying Combat Commander with someone who knows and likes the game. I owned it for a while but ended up trading it away, never could quite get into it.

Space Empires would be fun too, and I've played a lot of C&C Ancients. Lee Hanna is a fan of Downtown, and Lee Hamer played Kingdom of Heaven last year so you might get those guys to the table.

Sounds like you might run out of time long before you run out of games!

Return to “Winterfest XIX - 2016”