Games for 2016

Winterfest #19
kqrgcw
Captain
Captain

Re: Games for 2016

Postby kqrgcw » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:53 pm

I will throw this out as a suggestion for the Civil War buffs.

One of the large games i.e. Gettysburg, 7 Days, Antietam, Shiloh, etc. in the AM and Afternoon and in the evening switch to smaller games like the AH/MMP GCACW or VG's Civil War or the redo being about to see print by GMT.

The variety might keep us from getting too jaded at the same thing.

Myself, I would prefer a Seven Days or Antietam or Shiloh game as I think must of us are a little too versed on what not to do at Gettysburg to make it an interesting game. But that's just my opinion.

If we can get a feeling for a big game it will let me try to get the rules. Most of the big games I have are all basically based on Berg's GBACW series. Haven't played any in years but that is all I am familiar with on that scale.

I also have Campaigns of R.E.Lee and Army of the Heartland as well as some others.

Roger

tombeach
Major
Major

Postby tombeach » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:02 pm

Hi Roger,

I like all of your ideas regarding Civil War gaming.

I would love to set up The Seven Days from The Gamers as the morning and afternoon game. Again, there are plenty of commands available.

I would be up for evening side games of GCACW as I love the series. And it might prove a nice break. So I'd be willing to try that approach.

But your last comment intrigues me the most. As it happens, I've been soling CoA Campaigns of R.E. Lee of late. I consider this Prados design to be hands-down the best operational Civil War system out there. And I say that while also a big fan of GCACW. CoREL, AoTH and LA (Look Away!) take operational concepts to a different and, to my way of thinking, much higher level of play than GCACW. I simply find them more detailed, realistic and challenging. I think it's a brilliant game system and one which I would very much enjoy doing ftf. Please share your experience with the system and thoughts.

I would also consider CoREL or AotH as the main am/afternoon game and doing GCACW in the evenings if that is a preferred alternate.

Tom

kqrgcw
Captain
Captain

Postby kqrgcw » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:55 pm

Tom,

I'm glad you are intrigued by my idea. I have played CAMP. of R.E .Lee twice solitare. This first bull run and the Peninsular campaign. It is too bad they were never able to link the whole thing into a grand campaign with the right repl., reinf. etc. Some of the concepts like training troops didn 't quite fit the smaller scenarios but were great ideas

It has been a number of years since I opened it but am willing to give it a shot. Let me know so I can review the rules.

There are a few others who have expressed an interest in the Civil War so we need to proceed with this with all haste.

Roger

tombeach
Major
Major

Postby tombeach » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:59 am

Roger,

I would be equally interested in either a game of 'Campaigns of R.E. Lee' or 'Army of The Heartland.' Both look great. You pick. Now, just to be clear, you're talking about doing one of these games as the evening side game, correct? If that is the case, what from the other Civil War list we discussed interests you for the larger day game? Assume that is the game you're talking about for multi-player.

Maybe some of those interested in a large Civil War game can chime in?

Tom

kqrgcw
Captain
Captain

Postby kqrgcw » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:52 pm

Campaigns of R.E.Lee would be fine as a side game.

Any of the other large games sounds fine for the main one though I would tend to go with Seven Days. Unfortunatly, the only large games I played were all based on Berg's system so I would need a location to download the rules. Hence, whatever consensus develops on a main game is fine with me as I have no vested interest in what gets played.

I hope we can here from some others as I hope there are more than just us interested in the Civil War.

Roger

kqrgcw
Captain
Captain

Postby kqrgcw » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:54 pm

Ron,

Are still interested in looking at something involving the American Civil War.

Roger

tombeach
Major
Major

Postby tombeach » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:43 am

Roger,

Dave Nelson and I have decided to definitely set up the full 9-map campaign scenario of The Seven Days in the CWB series as our chosen game. Plenty of room for anyone interested.

As for rules, just visit the Multiman site here. You will find rules v3.2 which is the most current. Then all you would need to download is the Malvern Hill special rules which ties that game and Seven Pines and Gaines' Mill together to create the entire campaign.

http://www.gamersarchive.net/theGamers/archive/cwb.htm

Tom

kqrgcw
Captain
Captain

Postby kqrgcw » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:09 am

I will start downloading and studying the rules this week. I read over the Campaigns of RE Lee rules and will study my notes. I think I need to make a chart for Admin actions since there does not appear to be a compact list of them.

Roger

ThisLee
2nd Lieutennant
2nd Lieutennant

Postby ThisLee » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:45 pm

I'm just back from Buckeye Game Fest. I played a supporting role in 2 games of Beyond the Rhine. One played September into mid-October, the other played the Bulge campaign and got into mid-January. Both were instructive; there are still things I like and do not like in this game.

If I were to play it again at Winterfest, the Bulge scenario has a bit more interest to me than "just another" September game.

Someone (name still forgotten, sorry) suggested a Marne 1918 game, I think it's this one? https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27817/marne-1918-friedensturm It sounded interesting from his description.

Also, for Pacific and Flattop fans: I met the designer of this game: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/179976/beneath-southern-cross, and he might make a Winterfest appearance from Kentucky. It might be an interesting demonstration.

I started listening to a book on CD about the Congress of Vienna this week: anyone have an opinion on the mulitplayer monstergame Empires in Arms? I started a game of it once, but it never got into Turn 1.

mignered
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby mignered » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:07 pm

Lee played very well commanding against Patton in the September 5 Beyond the Rhine.

At this point we are planning a Bulge start date through
The Rhine crossing. I want to play any of the Allied armies
But will play German with Troy, if others want an Allied command.

The game works best with two German and three
German players

Return to “Winterfest XIX - 2016”