Games for 2016

Winterfest #19
DaveM1
Major
Major

Re: Games for 2016

Postby DaveM1 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:10 pm

There's some talk about the new OCS game "Beyond the Rhine" . Might be enough to drive me to learn the system, which I've avoided so far.

For what it's worth, I also picked up a copy of "World in Flames"...

ThisLee
2nd Lieutennant
2nd Lieutennant

Postby ThisLee » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:15 pm

I'm feeling an urge to get on the "Beyond the Rhine" bandwagon. it's been enough years since it last disappointed me.

MTierney
Captain
Captain

Postby MTierney » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:32 am

I posted in detail on the other thread, but will add my choice here. Day of Days, The Invasion of Normandy is my pick. Never saw a Normandy game I would not buy. May not PLAY them all, but that is a minor point.

And, yes Dave, I know about The Greatest Day. Been registered since it was announced.

Merv

DaveM1
Major
Major

Postby DaveM1 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:48 pm

Day of Days is on my shelf at the moment.....still in shrink, but hey.

And Standard Combat Series might mean we actually finish a game at Winterfest!!

tombeach
Major
Major

Postby tombeach » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:19 pm

am up for any Civil war game - perhaps the regimental system or the new system touted by MMP?
Seven Day's Campaign
Gettysburg
Shiloh
Chickamauga
1st and 2nd Bull Run
Overland Campaign
Antietam

Ron

Hi Ron,

I wanted to respond directly to your post just so you knew that while I have also expressed interest in a La Bataille game which Dave Mignery posted in the other folder, I am foremost, still interested in a Civil War game if you still feel the same.

Eastern

These could include either the new Line of Battle regimental games from MMP (Antietam/Gettysburg). RE: your Overland Campaign mention, there is Strike Them A Blow in the Civil War Brigade series. First Bull Run could include the old but excellent game Manassas by Iron Crown Enterprises, still considered one of the best and most beautiful on this battle. Second Bull Run would offer August Fury II also in the CWB series. Seven Days Campaign would be the large CWB combined games of Gaines Mill, Seven Pines and Malvern Hill which Dave Nelson has previously mentioned interest in as well.

Western

A Fearful Slaughter (Shiloh) and This Terrible Sound (Chickamauga) which can be played as RSS (Regimental Sub-Series or Line of Battle rules).

Roll it over and give me your thoughts. If you have other games/systems in mind, please mention that too and we'll go from there if you'd like.

Tom

kqrgcw
1st Lieutennant
1st Lieutennant

Postby kqrgcw » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:19 am

See my post in the other folder. Very interested in Civil War or WWI. I think the GCACW or the MMP variants would be good but anything. Lets settle on something by October so I can bone up on the rules if not familiar with it.

Roger Baier

tombeach
Major
Major

Postby tombeach » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:20 pm

Hi Roger,

Yes, I recall your post as well as our conversation on the last day of WF. I didn't mention GCACW as I don't consider them very good multi-player games given the staccato initiative system. I also recall you looking at that series most likely as a side game which I would not be interested in. But we can talk further if you'd like.

Tom

DaveM1
Major
Major

Postby DaveM1 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:45 am

Just to throw another one into the mix - as a side game, for sure - I've been very impressed with Normandy '44. It's only a one mapper but it's rules are simply sweet...excellent job baking in things like air support, artillery/supplies, troop quality. Simonitch has done these with column shifts and maxed out attack points at 18, so massive attacks (that logistically would have been impossible) have no benefit. The Germans find themselves scrabbling to keep the line intact, and saving combat for times that the weather and seaborne artillery ranges are favorable.

Lee Hamer and I have played the game and both of us are really impressed. Solves a lot of problems Battle for Normandy has, and does it with less overhead than Atlantic Wall

MTierney
Captain
Captain

Postby MTierney » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:46 pm

Dave,
I was just looking at Normandy 44 on the Gmt site. It looks interesting. Based on your remarks, would love to play it. I would love to play anything right now! Oh well.
Merv

DaveM1
Major
Major

Postby DaveM1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:08 pm

I'm up for hosting a game day, if folks can squeeze in the time.

Return to “Winterfest XIX - 2016”