Early Straw Poll - What Should We Do?

HQ for planning the next gaming event in Sandusky

What's your first choice for our 2015 Monster?

Atlantic Wall
33%
Battle for Normandy (2 sets)
22%
A Civil War game (None But Heroes or Last Chance for Victory have been suggested?)
No votes
East Front Series
22%
Operation Market Garden (Grand Tactical Series)
No votes
The Killing Ground/Overlord
No votes
Third World War
No votes
Something else (post your suggestion below)
No votes
Forget the Monsters - lets arrange individual games
22%

Total votes: 9

MTierney
Major
Major

Re: Early Straw Poll - What Should We Do?

Post by MTierney » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:08 pm

It took my vote for Atlantic Wall. Another reason I am choosing this is that it is the ONLY GAME I have that is not deep in storage! So the only one I can look at to get ready to play. I know that is not going to persuade Lee and some of the crew, and this will probably be just Shawn, me and two others.

I have wanted to play the Eagles Dare games ever since buying them and WF seems a great venue. My reservation and why we never attempted is the same reason our last two mega monsters failed. No one owns the games (or too few) and would be learning from scratch. Couple that with something this big and no time constraints on turns and it becomes unmanageable.

Merv

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:46 pm

I appreciate your reasoning, Merv. That said, the investment into the series is quite reasonable if you include No Question of Surrender.

This year at Buckeye, there was quite a bit of discussion in the TDC/WED game regarding timed turns with a clock -- the merits and the pitfalls etc. Personally I'm quite interested in it. So much so that I bought a used chess clock today and intend using it within our groups next game, The Seven Days (Gamers). Tricky to say the least. Much thought must go into how best to use it. And trial runs are definitely needed. This will be our first experiment using it.

Tom

Madison
Uber-Oberst
Uber-Oberst

Post by Madison » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:34 am

The POLLS work if the board is set to prosilver. So we will keep this as it is.

Madison
Uber-Oberst
Uber-Oberst

Post by Madison » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:35 am

Try voting now.

MTierney
Major
Major

Post by MTierney » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:59 pm

tombeach wrote:I appreciate your reasoning, Merv. That said, the investment into the series is quite reasonable if you include No Question of Surrender.

This year at Buckeye, there was quite a bit of discussion in the TDC/WED game regarding timed turns with a clock -- the merits and the pitfalls etc. Personally I'm quite interested in it. So much so that I bought a used chess clock today and intend using it within our groups next game, The Seven Days (Gamers). Tricky to say the least. Much thought must go into how best to use it. And trial runs are definitely needed. This will be our first experiment using it.

Tom
Tom,
We have talked, threatened and pleaded for a clock but too much dissension so we never did. I would be interested to know how your game goes with it.
Merv

firefly17pdr
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by firefly17pdr » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:55 pm

We have tried timed turns in the past, but we would wind up with one or two gamers who were so far behind it was nearly impossible to move on. That and the fact that gamers were wandering off to their rooms, taking naps, watching TV, involved in side games, and so on made it almost impossible to have timed turns. We simply do not have enough discipline.

Ron

Racine
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Racine » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:50 am

I voted for one but I will play any multiplayer game.

Dave in Racine

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:43 pm

Merv and Ron,

Thanks for sharing your experiences on timed turns and approach to them. I can completely understand the frustrations of trying to implement a clock. Many of the things you pointed to are precisely what I am fearful of, especially dissent and discipline, both of which are to be expected I suppose. Most likely it won't work if even one player is opposed to it. And forcing the use of a clock probably doesn't bode well for a test of it's use. Still, I'd like to give it a try and will let you know how it goes if we end up using it.

My vote finally took! Thanks, John. And congrats on the new look of the site. My eyes are extremely grateful. :shock:

firefly17pdr
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by firefly17pdr » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:50 pm

I we can get an experienced cadre of players for the EFS, I wouldn't mind trying timed turns. Might even suggest being able to "bank" time if you need it. Would recommend unlimited time for the first turn in EFS, followed by timed turns.

Ron

DaveM1
Major
Major

Post by DaveM1 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:23 pm

Ron:

For what it's worth, using a chess clock banks time automatically. The idea is that you have a total allowance (for game or a set number of turns) and when your opponent hits his button, your clock starts ticking. When you're done, you hit yours and his starts. (There is also a neutral position that locks both clocks.)

Since it's a "total limit" timer, if you use very little time for one turn it automatically means your time bank has more left in it.

Dave M